DOGENHOF

a piece of history

The current Praterstrasse emerged around the 1560s, when Emperor Maximilian II, a passionate hunter, declared Prater a forestry and hunting canton.
During the Biedermeier period and on the occaison of the Universal Exhibiton in 1873, Jägerzeile was transformed into a fabulous street with the help of the wealthy bourgeoise - becomming one of the most beautiful Viennese boulevards.
At number 70 is Dogenhof (Venetian Court), which imitates the de Cá ďOro am Canal Grande in Venice, it was planned at that time to build an Italian neighborhood in Vienna. In 1898, Maximilian Haas build the house on Praterstrasse 70 after the Dogenpalast (Venice Palace) model with a beautiful facade where the lion of Evangelist Mark looks down.

The Wiener Schnitzel is the national dish of Austria. September 9th is the National Wiener Schnitzel Day. The idea of tenderizing a piece of tough meat by pounding it is evident in the oldest relics of the history of man.

Viennese Coffee House


The history of Viennese coffee house culture is closely linked to the end of the Siege of Vienna in 1683. Legend has it that the Viennese citizen Georg Franz Kolschitzky (1640 - 1694) was the first to obtain a license to serve coffee in the city following his heroic actions during the Siege of Vienna.